Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rasam

The unavoidable item in sadya...something that comes to rescue during cold wintery nights...when you have a bad cold or you are struggling to breathe due to a blocked nose..



I still use store-bought (Brahmin's) rasam powder for making rasams. I have tried a couple of times to make it entirely from scratch, but it didn't give me complete satisfaction, nor could I find happy faces at dinner table. So till I get a proper recipe, I will continue my trust in Brahmin's.

Ingredients

Water - 4 cups
Tamarind - size of a lemon, soaked in water
Rasam powder - 2 tbsp, heaped
Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Dried chilly - 3
Tomato - 2, medium, roughly chopped
Coriander leaves - 2 strands

  

Method

Squeeze the juice out of tamarind, add it to the water and bring it to boil. Add the rasam powder and let it boil until it thickens slightly. Switch off the stove. In a non-stick pan, add oil. Once its hot, crackle the mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, dried chilly and saute for half a minute. Now add the chopped tomatoes and saute for another minute. Add this to the rasam along with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment