Monday, November 25, 2013

Steamed Fish Fillet with veggies and sauce

Finally I can boast of some recipe that is entirely my own. I had some fish fillet sitting in my freezer and had to finish it off before the start of advent. With half of it, I made Kottayam style fish curry, there was still a good portion left. So thought of making IKEA style fish fillet. But one thing I wanted to avoid was the use of too much butter and milk in the sauce (Remember, as per Ayurveda, fish and milk don't get along well). Plus I wanted my dish to be slightly tangy. And also I wanted to avoid the hassles of baking fish. So came up with an easy and quick recipe as per our liking.


Ingredients

For the fish fillet

Fish fillet (I used mahi-mahi) - 3/4 kg, cut into 4 or 5 big chunks
Salt - as per taste
Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - juice from half lemon



Marinate the fish with all the above and let it sit for 15 min. After that boil it by adding little water. Switch off the stove as soon as the fish is cooked. Reserve the juices, we'll need it for making the sauce.

Steamed Vegetables



Vegetables (I used cauliflower, green peas and carrots) - 3 cups, cut into chunks

Either steam them in a steamer or boil using little water. Boil till they are done. Reserve the remaining water, we'll use them for making the sauce.

Sauce
Big onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Garlic - 1 pod, crushed
Butter - 1 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - of half lemon
Corn flour - 1 tsp



In a pan, heat butter. Add the onions and garlic and saute well. When they start to turn brown, add the juices from steamed fish and vegetables. Add more water if required. Check salt and pepper and add as needed. Add the lemon juice and let it boil. Mix cornflour with 2 tbsp of cold water and add it to the sauce. The sauce will start to thicken. When it reaches the right consistency switch off the stove and remove it from heat. Serve it on top of the fish and vegetables. You can even have steamed rice instead of steamed veggies if you need more carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment