Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Kerala Koonthal / Squid / Kanava / Calamari Roast

I never had a liking for squid until now..In fact, I hated the look of it in the fish section. Moreover, my husband is allergic to such exotic seafood, which means all the more reason to avoid it from weekly shopping. But in one of my recent blogosphere expeditions, I came across a beautifully presented kanava roast. I should say, there was an immediate spark within me and waited till the next shopping day to buy some squid. Luckily the guy at fish counter cleaned it well for me. I made it as per instructions in this blog (except that I used small onions instead of big onions as in the blog), since I have no experience eating / seeing it prepared earlier. We never used to get koonthal, neither in my hometown nor at my husband's. But good that I tried it out, it made our lunch delicious and spicy. My son loved it!! and thankfully my hubby didn't develop any allergic reaction to it..so this is gonna be a regular in our lunch.



Ingredients

To marinate
Cleaned koonthal / squid - 1/2 kg
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste

For the masala
Small onions - 1cup, thinly sliced
Green chilly  - 3, slit lengthwise
Garlic - 4 pods, crushed
Ginger - 1 inch piece, crushed
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Tomato - 1 medium, chopped
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tsp (as per your tolerance)
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per taste

Coconut oil - 3 tbsp

Method

Clean and wash the squid thoroughly under running water. Cut into rings. Marinate them with the items mentioned under "To marinate". Let it sit for about 30 minutes. Heat coconut oil in a manchatti, and saute the marinated squid along with some curry leaves till they turn hard. Care should be taken not to cook it too much at this stage as the squid will turn rubbery if cooked too much. Drain oil and keep it aside. In the same oil, saute the sliced onions, green chilly, curry leaves and crushed ginger and garlic. Saute till the raw smell is gone and onions slowly starts turning brown. Add the tomatoes, saute well till they are mushy. Now add the powders one by one and saute till raw smell is gone. Add the shallow fried squid at this stage and mix well. Let the squid gets cooked well in the masala (about 5-8 min). After that switch off the stove and let it rest (covered) for another 10-20 minutes.







No comments:

Post a Comment