Saturday, November 23, 2013

Achinga payar mezhukupuratti / Long String Beans stir fry


A great accompaniment for rice along with fish curry and moru kaachiyathu. I have seen the same dish prepared in Kottayam side in a different way - adding sliced coconut and using green chillies instead of chilly powder. But I guess I inherited my taste buds from my grandmom and prefers chilli powder for all my mezhukupuratis...the chilly powder provides an instant kick to your taste buds. I just love that kick especially when other curries are bland or subtle, like thoran, fish curry in coconut gravy, moru kachiyathu etc. So here goes my favourite mezhukupuratti recipe.


Ingredients

Long string beans / achinga payar - 3 cups, washed, cleaned and cut
Shallots - 6-8, crushed
Garlic - 4 big pods, crushed
Chilly powder - 1.5 tsp (as per your tolerance level)
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt - as per taste
Coconut oil - 2 tbsp

Method

Boil the chopped string beans in enough water and salt. Once cooked, drain the water and keep it aside. In a kadai, add oil. Once hot, add the crushed onions, garlic and curry leaves. Saute well till its brown and almost crisp. Now add the chilly powder and saute till the raw smell goes. Add the cooked string beans and mix well. Saute till the mezhukupuratti is almost dry and then switch off the stove. Serve with some hot rice.
                      





No comments:

Post a Comment