Saturday, October 12, 2013

Curd Rice

This is one dish that I always make in a haste...or rather I make this when I am hard pressed for time in the morning rush and I have no other option but to pack a quick lunch for my husband. Trust me...its easy and tastes great with pickle and pappad.


I am sure that my method of cooking curd rice is NOT the authentic way of making it, as the curd rice we have from Tamilian restaurants here in Dubai tastes quite bland. So I spice it up by adding some chillies, dried chilly & ginger. Also I garnish it with urid dal and sometimes with channa dal which gives something to chew on.


Ingredients

Cooked white rice, cooled - 2 cups
Curd - 2 cups
Salt - as per taste

Seasoning




Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urid dal - 1 tbsp
Small onion - 3-4, thinly sliced
Grated ginger - 1 tsp
Green chilly - 2 , sliced
Dried chilly - 2
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 1 tbsp

Mix the cooked, cooled white rice with well beaten curd and add enough salt. Keep it aside.

Heat a pan, add oil. Once hot, crackle mustard seeds and then add the urid dal. Stir till the dal turns brownish. Now add small onions, grated ginger, green chilly, curry leaves & dried chilly. Let them get sauteed well till the onions turn brown and slightly crisp. Turn off the stove and add the seasoning to the curd rice. Mix well and transfer to the lunch box.




No comments:

Post a Comment